Sunday, June 29, 2008

Redemptive Stories and Coffee Shops

Typically, I'm a non-fiction guy but I needed a little break from theology, economics, and current affairs. I am sometimes hesitant to pick up fiction because I wonder if it will be a waist of time. I tend to question if I will gain any truth from the investment. Thankfully, I have.

A couple of months back I finished a book called A Lesson Before Dying written by Ernest Gaines. While the character development is a bit slow, the narrative as a whole ends up being quite moving. The basic premise revolves around a couple of questions: What makes someone truly a man (human)? Is a person who is sentenced to die (in a short period of time) worth teaching? Is it beneficial to encourage the pursuit of knowledge and personal / spiritual development when the end is immanent? There are numerous spiritual and intellectual implications involved in answering such questions. I definitely enjoyed pondering these ideas while also getting a look into 1940s african american culture in the south.

I also recently finished The Kite Runner authored by Khaled Hosseini. This book is quite good. It engages the ideas of paternal approval, loyalty and betrayal, cultural development, and finding "a way to be good again." The storyline is probably one of my favorites. As a reader you get to peak into Afghan culture as the main character deals with his past and pursues redemption. His faith struggle is apparent throughout. He has a tough time believing in God (Allah in this case specifically) or in the goodness of those who are closest to him. The book is definitely worthwhile exploration.

What I love about both books is that the heroes have major character flaws. They are weak in some form or another. They have troubled pasts and struggle to stand up for what is good and True. Yet, they find a way to reach deep within themselves to not only do what is right but be taught by the folks they encounter along the way. I also like the fact that the stories don't fully resolve. There is closure but not the "happily ever after" that many stories draw in.

It's been enjoyable to find myself being challenged intellectually and spiritually outside of the non-fiction realm. Refreshing is probably the best way of describing it.

My current read is The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. It's off to a great start but it's a long one. It will likely take me most of the summer to finish.

In other news, my church's not for profit coffee shop is starting to take shape. I spent a good portion of yesterday helping to keep things moving on the construction / clean up side. Once we get it started I think it will pair nicely with our thrift store downstairs. I need to take some pictures of the progess and post them on here. It's pretty sweet.

That's all for now...
Love All,
Drew

6 comments:

Unknown said...

drew
so cool i love the backround
cjc

Laura S Scott said...

my current fiction is the ya-ya sisterhood....

Lydia said...

My current fiction is still Little Women.

And barf with the pancake business on your profile. I can just see you making up a batch of pancakes. I hope you're using the batter bowl I gave you. It's perfect for that.

Drew said...

Oh you bet I'm using that batter bowl. Pretty much anything that needs a good mixing or microwaving goes in that thing... which for me means pancakes and easy mac. Those meals tend to be a repeating occurence in my diet.

Amateria said...

I'm liking the new blog. Blogger is a much more respectable setting than xanga could ever hope to be.

I think it's funny, how quickly most people view fiction as lies. As if because the artist was creating a world in their own mind, the rules and order of that world have no relevancy to the reader's life. I'm glad that you've found fiction to not be a (complete) waste of time.

I do believe though, that it's the author's responsibility to be honest in the work, that way readers like yourself don't come up empty handed when they finish a piece of fiction. Good fiction will be held to a standard of truth, (maybe even Truth) resulting in a work that might never have actually occurred, but contains principles and concepts that we resound with, possibly with a deeper resonance than if we were to have those truths explained to us. It's why when we watch good film we desire to be with the character, maybe even be them.

Madeline L'engle once said "if it's bad art, it's bad religion." And I believe her.

(This is Josh, your former roommate by the way.)

Anonymous said...

I'm reading the Kite Runner now. I read 102 pages last night - go ahead, I'm a dork. :)

Also, we have the same layout for our blogs. Probably because we're both awesome.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I checked out your new blog finally. Write more please. :)